May 7, 2015

don't get sick this winter...fight back naturally!


Can you believe it, I haven't had a cold, flu, virus, since before I began my holistic healing journey.  That is over 2 years!! The last time I was sick it lasted for 9 weeks, which was normal for me and I'm pretty sure that final bug threw me into the massive flare up of my arthritic condition, that nudged me onto the natural healing pathway...they do say things happen for a reason ;-)  I was one of these kids and adults who made a living being sick, or gave the drug companies and doctors their living I should say..that boat and vacation property, it came from me, yep..lol  My first memory is of being sick, I remember the doctors surgeries. I wasn't allowed to touch the toys in case I got sick haha!! Honestly, if it was going around, I got it, even if it wasn't going around lol!!  Yes!!  I spent a lot of time being sick and by the time I got to my teens knew exactly what to do and which antibiotic I needed lol. I had to take SO many courses of them, and when they didn't work I got antibiotic injections, along with more antibiotics...


Anyway, it was nothing unusual for me, I just got on with my days at home, morning TV, looking at books, crafts.  Back then it was better than school so I didn't mind so much. But now I do!!  I'm finally feeling the best I've ever felt in my life, I don't want to waste any time being sick with the unnecessary!


The other week I went to the shop, and it honestly felt like one of those video games where you have to avoid the attack of the monsters...this time the monsters were people sneezing and coughing!  I kinda felt like I'd be immune to it, but for as long as I remember I've avoided people who are visibly sick.  I would hold my breath, move past them, lag behind, it became a bit fun trying to speed walk through the aisles before they caught up hehe!

But alas, I was not invincible this time!  I got sick!!!!  NOOOOO!!!!!

This is no time to panic Sarah!! 

Honestly, my first thought was curl up on the couch and let it take me, but the responsible Sarah was firm, don't give up, fight, and so fight I did ;-)

Firstly I carried on eating everything I usually did, everything!  I believe that throwing some natural remedies on an unhealthy lifestyle and diet will not give the same punch.  I also took all my daily herbs and spices that double up as great virus busters, ginger, curcumin, nettle, apple cider vinegar, plus I added an olive leaf supplement, drank ginger tea with fresh lemon, and for the first time I made GOLDEN MILK! I thought taking the supplements was enough, but no, you feel this stuff working as its going down, it is amazing!!!  I still make it now.

There are loads of versions of this delicious milk to try, but this is my recipe, which of course I think is the best ;-)

I am not a fan of pepper, but you NEED it in this recipe.  The body can not respond to the healing properties of turmeric without it.


I use coconut butter to add creaminess, instead of using milk.  Here is my post on making nut butter and using it as a replacement for nut milks  http://sarahmedina.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/the-easiest-way-to-make-nut-milk.html
And for those who want to use regular milks in the golden milk, you can do a straight exchange with the water in the recipe.  




The other thing I did, besides take rest and keep warm, was get some fresh air, carry on with a simple version of my daily yoga routine to keep my energy flowing, pushing the unhealthy out while replacing it with healthy glowing healing energy.  

A couple of other great products I can't live without are these olive leaf, homeopathic throat and nasal sprays...  In my long history of throat and nose/sinus problems, these are the best I've ever tried. They last me for ages because they work first or second time, and don't leave me a mucusy mess when I stop using them.  I actually use the nasal spray each time I come home from the shops, or other place where germs can easily spread.

http://www.iherb.com/Seagate-Olive-Leaf-Throat-Spray-Raspberry-Spearmint-1-fl-oz-30-ml/16771

http://www.iherb.com/Seagate-Olive-Leaf-Nasal-Spray-1-fl-oz-30-ml/16766

Plus, I used my essential oils! These pictured below are all great for cold and flu relief, but of course I love eucalyptus, lemon, lavender, cinnamon and peppermint the best. Mix a few drops into some base oil like olive oil and rub some on your throat, forehead, back, chest and feet, rub between the palms of your hands and breath it in.  Much much better than any store bought product!

Yes, I love essential oils! 


Oil burner mix...its a lot, use what you have, but I have to say this mix was amazing!  And I love blending, mixing, creating recipes, looove it, so much fun!  It reminds me of being a child and making potions in the garden with plants, rocks, seeds, water and buckets, only I'm using the real things now.  I think we are born with a knowledge of what we need to do to live a healthy life, and we act it out with play, but most of this old wisdom is lost in this modern age and not been handed down.  I'm glad there is so much to learn and access now through the internet connecting us all, technology can be good.  


So, there you go!  Beat cold and flu before it takes hold, enjoy your rest day or two, because you'll be back on your feet before you know it ;-)

Update...I got another illness, a couple of weeks after this one, and beat it again! I feel like I've cracked another code or something, this natural way of living rocks! Yes I'm feeling the power lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed