September 22, 2013

Scrummylicious Coffee Ice Cream - Vegan - Gluten Free


One of the things I love about my new way of eating is I can make loads of desserts, cake, ice cream.....and eat them!  They taste as good as the real thing, only they are healthy and actually add to the process of nourishing and healing my body, reducing inflammation instead of adding to it..how good is that!  I grew up without desserts, Haha, I know, totally deprived!  My Mum was wanting the best for us, and limited sweets, we ate really well, but not rubbish foods or too much sugar. Its so twisted that I ended up with multiple chronic illnesses and spent a lot of my childhood sick with one thing or another...  But, I'm sure I would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been packed full of healthy meals each day, and looking after myself responsibly now, using moderation, would have proven more challenging without my nutritionally sound beginnings. Thanks Mum and your love of carrots teehee - you always made and still make the best meals xx

So, having type 1 diabetes these past 18 years, it wasn't a stretch to eat less sugar and fat, but the tragedy was, I love to bake!!!  Sooo much!!!!  I was in the kitchen from a child onwards, I made all the birthday cakes, so although I still baked occasionally,  but not a lot because of the blood sugar issues, and no matter how well my insulin pump works, I just wouldn't pack myself with sugar and overload my system.  So, back around to the point of this story, I loooove this new way of eating!!!  I can bake, I can make ice cream and experiment with recipes, I can do all the fun stuff I always wished I could without harming myself!

Here is my coffee ice cream, perfect for the anti inflammatory diet it's sugar free, gluten free, dairy and egg free (Vegan), don't let that fool you, its delicious!!!!  Much better than store bought, even the expensive stuff.  Its easy to make and cheap!!!!  I'm not sure if I am so used to coconut now (I worship the stuff, another story another time...) But I can't even taste it, it just tastes like a creamy gelati to me..


Whisk together
400 ml can coconut cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 TSP vanilla
Pinch of salt
3-4 tsp instant coffee (melted in a tiny bit of boiling water)

Let this mixture cool in the fridge, really cold!

When cool, pour in ice cream machine until ready! Yum!

Enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed